You did it! You’ve made it through the home building process and are finally moved into your new home. Maintaining your custom home can be a big job for your homework, but anyone can give their home a lavish look with a clear and systematic approach. This care will preserve your home’s health, performance, life, and resale value.
MONTHLY HOME MAINTENANCE TASKS
In addition to keeping the interior and exterior of your home tidy and clean regularly, there are a few items to tackle monthly:
- Clean your range hood filters (follow manufacturer guidance, or soak them in degreaser and warm water)
- Clean your sink disposal (put in lemon slices or frozen vinegar ice cubes)
- Test your garage door sensors
- Maintain your pool properly every week
QUARTERLY HOME MAINTENANCE TASKS
Many custom home maintenance items don’t need to be done every month but should be done at least quarterly:
- Replace HVAC filters
- Clean leaves and debris from your HVAC condenser
- Test your smoke/carbon monoxide detectors
- Test water in rarely-used bathrooms (flush toilets and run taps)
- Contract with a pest control company for quarterly service
SEMI-ANNUAL HOME MAINTENANCE TASKS
Every six months, we recommend that our homeowners tackle the following items to keep their homes in great working order:
- Give your home a deep clean
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils to keep them running efficiently and lasting longer
- Clean out your clothes dryer exhaust duct
- Dismantle and clean sink traps (curved pipe) to clear obstructions and buildup
- Hire an HVAC specialist to clean condensate from drain lines, check for duct leaks, etc.
ANNUAL HOME MAINTENANCE TASKS
A couple of dozen items on the custom home maintenance checklist should be taken care of annually. We organize them by tasks to complete in the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. This makes the lists shorter and more manageable each season. It also makes everything easier to keep track of throughout the life of your home.
Included on the seasonal task lists are inspection tips and tasks for:
- Exterior Drainage
- Front Doors
- Door/Gate Hinges
- Plumbing Fixture Caulk
- Proper Freeze Preparation
We know that when you’ve invested hard-earned dollars into a beautiful custom home, protecting that investment is paramount. Properly maintaining your home is the greatest thing you can do to safeguard that investment and extend the life of your home for your family to enjoy for decades to come!